Then It Went Pear-Shaped!

15 Mar
The eighth stencil, printed in sap green.

Disaster. I cut the eighth stencil and printed it onto my screenprint landscape of Waun Wen, in a translucent sap green …. and it’s HORRIBLE! I hate it! It just goes to show that in spite of careful planning and having something in your mind’s eye, things can suddenly go pear-shaped. I didn’t print them all, I’ll have to rethink what I’m going to do next. And I’ll have to work out a way to rescue the three that I’ve printed with this horrible intrusive colour. Back to the drawing board. Literally!

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks.

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the antique taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these vintage artefacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

7 Responses to “Then It Went Pear-Shaped!”

1. Alli Farkas March 21, 2022 at 01:31 #

Maybe use the “ruined” version as a practice sheet. Since it’s a stencil, just keep painting over it until you get a color you like.

• Rosie Scribblah March 21, 2022 at 13:34 #

I might cut an acrylic stencil so I can experiment, can’t reuse paper stencils. But it’ll have to wait as I have Covid and my brain isn’t working 😦

• Alli Farkas March 23, 2022 at 02:21 #

Aha! Should have realized it was a paper stencil, since the whole thing is paper! And I don’t even have Covid as an excuse!

• Rosie Scribblah March 23, 2022 at 12:39 #

LOL 😀

2. Leonie Andrews March 15, 2022 at 22:42 #

Ouch! Thank heavens you stopped instead of printing them all. A few comments from the sideline. I’m guessing you might have thought of overprinting with a transparent magenta or similar if you are trying to neutralize that colour. Or similarly with different colours to achieve other results. Is your stencil holding up or will you need to recut it? I know that you have the experience to sort it out.

• Rosie Scribblah March 19, 2022 at 14:04 #

Thanks Leonie. I was thinking magenta actually. And although the stencil is still intact, I might recut it slightly larger to make sure that awful green disappears! Ah, the life of an artist 😀

• Leonie Andrews March 19, 2022 at 22:53 #

Sadly, no one’s choice but our own!😄