Ponies And A Monstrous Cat

6 Mar

Graig Fawr

Out again today exploring ancient neolithic monuments in South West Wales, quite near to home this time. Our first stop was a fair hike up Graig Fawr (Big Rock) mountain near Pentrebach (Little Village) not far from Pontarddulais near Garreg Llwyd (Grey Rocks) farm in the County of Swansea. We walked in the freezing weather up to two small chambered tombs considered the most westerly of the Cotswold / Severn type tomb in Britain. The stones are not named so I’m going to call them Carreg Palug (Palug’s Stones) after a monstrous cat in Welsh mythology that terrorised warriors in Anglesey. Why not, eh?

We also met some gorgeous ponies up on the mountain. They were very curious, especially when they spotted my lunchbox!

I’m travelling around with archaeologist Dewi Bowen who is researching his new book. His previous book on the standing stones of Ancient Siluria (South East Wales) can be found here. Accompanying us is film maker Melvyn Williams who is recording a documentary about the process. Some of Melvyn’s short films can be seen here. If you want to see some more of my artworks, please click here.

9 Responses to “Ponies And A Monstrous Cat”

1. I am a crazy cat lover so there is no need for me to write indepth..exept that to say I think I have been a cat lover since the day I was born…thanks for an interesting write up and pictures…regards from’originally from someone Swansea now in Australia’..Diane across the waves…

2. Donna Sands March 8, 2016 at 01:05 #

Love what you’re doing!

• Rosie Scribblah March 8, 2016 at 08:25 #

Thank you so much, Donna. I am really getting into the stones, very strange places

3. Phil Cooper March 7, 2016 at 21:20 #

Wow, that drawing looks alive, it’s walking off the paper like a mythical creature, fantastic! Thanks for the links to Dewi and Melvyn’s work too, I’ve enjoyed exploring 😊

• Rosie Scribblah March 8, 2016 at 08:24 #

Thank you 😊 some of the stones are very anthropomorphic. Dewi thinks that many of them were chosen for that reason. I didn’t realise that some of the stones are nameless, Dewi challenged me to come up with a name for them, he might put it in his book lol

4. Leonie Andrews March 6, 2016 at 22:41 #

Thank heaven’s that the monstrous parrot of Swansea wasn’t there! Love the drama you derive from the simplified palette.

• Rosie Scribblah March 6, 2016 at 22:44 #

Thanks Leonie. I think the parrot might make it into mythology yet 😀

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Stoneless Ring | scribblah - March 8, 2016

[…] was really cold and I was already chilly from doing the two previous drawings at Bryn y Rhyd and Graig Fawr. This circular earthwork is about 60 feet in diameter but only a couple of feet high. It’s […]