The Mari And The Libbers

3 Jan

mari-6

This is the last of my recent sketchbook drawings made over two evenings following the Mari Lwyd around pubs in North Gower. The last pub we went to (I won’t identify it) I hadn’t been into since way back in the 1970’s. It was one of the few pubs remaining in the area with a men-only bar and it wouldn’t serve women with pints so some of us from Swansea Women’s Liberation Group went up there, marched into the men-only bar, put our money on the bar and ordered a round of pints. The landlord was furious and threw us out, threatening to call the police. So we scarpered! But that was a long time ago and we had a lovely welcome on Friday night.

So now ……. what shall I do with these sketches? How should I develop them? I’ve been spending some time down at the fabulous Swansea Print Workshop, trying out a few things ……. but you’ll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I’m doing.

I am putting my series of drawings of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder. Β If you want to buy one, you can see them by clicking on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

St Elvis

13 Responses to “The Mari And The Libbers”

1. lindseylivings January 4, 2017 at 12:59 #

That story sounds like a scene from a movie and I need to see more haha!

2. Carla Saunders January 4, 2017 at 10:06 #

interesting to be back on wp and reading these comments – shall continue to check out your posts. Happy new year~

3. Alli Farkas January 4, 2017 at 02:02 #

Quite an overbite on that mare! A horse that looks like that is said to have a “parrot mouth”. Just what you needed to know, right?

• Rosie Scribblah January 4, 2017 at 06:10 #

That’s a great piece of trivia. My brain is crammed full of such stuff 😁

• Rosie Scribblah January 4, 2017 at 06:11 #

I was bitten by a parrot once. He hated women. His name was Richard the Bird. I blogged him.

• Leonie Andrews January 4, 2017 at 07:54 #

I remember those posts! It’s a challenge to make something of these in another medium. Do you try and capture the texture or go for the strong strokes. I’ll be interested to see where you go with these. They are such strong drawings.

• Rosie Scribblah January 4, 2017 at 08:45 #

I am reinterpreting them in monotype with some chine collection so I use the original simply as a staring point and then immerse myself in the new medium. It’s so very different to working in conte crayon and the monotypes are a very different animal, if you’ll pardon the pun.

4. outsideauthority January 3, 2017 at 22:37 #

Well done you and the SWLG! It would be great to re-enact it

• Rosie Scribblah January 3, 2017 at 22:50 #

Haha, we’re all oldies now πŸ˜€

• outsideauthority January 3, 2017 at 22:53 #

Perhaps I owe my freedom in drinking to you all although I can’t believe I still occassionally get halves in a ‘ladies’ glass!

• Rosie Scribblah January 4, 2017 at 06:08 #

With hindsight maybe quaffing so many pints in my youth wasn’t such a good thing but I wasn’t having anyone tell me that I’m a lady lol 😁