Menace And Monotype

4 Jan

mono-4

I’ve been working away at Swansea Print Workshop since I finished two evenings of sketching with the Coppertown Mari Lwyd last week. I decided to develop my drawings into print and chose a fairly simple reduction monotype technique, with chine collé, as my starting point. This is the first. There is usually a period of experimentation when you start a new series of prints, matching the ink and paper, getting the ink mix just right, getting the paper dampened to the correct degree – not too dry or too sloppy. I’m reasonably happy with it. I’m a bit obsessed with getting very solid blacks and this is much more grey than I would have planned, but I quite like it. The technique lends an air of menace to the image which I also like.

From left to right: Starting to draw from my original sketch onto an inked perspex plate: using various implements for mark-making – wood skewers, cotton buds, rags: adding chine collé – hand made recycled sari papers. I used a Somerset paper and Intaglio Printmaker’s Litho / Relief ink mixed about 60:40 with Extender.

I am putting my series of drawings of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder.  If you want to buy one, you can see them by clicking on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

St Elvis

14 Responses to “Menace And Monotype”

1. Leonie Andrews January 6, 2017 at 03:00 #

Great one Rosie! This is a real development along from your sketch.👍

2. Cat Among the Pigeons Press January 5, 2017 at 22:24 #

I really like this print, nightmarish and ghostly. You said that you had some trouble with the chine colle?
    For what it is worth I’ve found pva to work best as long as you work quickly.
    But if you find you are using many pieces of chine colle and you are having issues with them drying out or being too wet; a cheat would be to print without glueing at all and then glue the chine colle down after the print has dried when you have more time and more control.

• Rosie Scribblah January 5, 2017 at 23:19 #

Thanks 🙂 The chine colle worked with some of the paper but not with another make so I need to try out different glues – thanks for the tip about PVA

3. Carla Saunders January 5, 2017 at 09:04 #

This is fascinating to read. I’m looking forward to reading what’s next.

4. Michael Richards (certainline) January 5, 2017 at 08:28 #

An astonishing image – so striking. The spots of colour really bring it alive, don’t they?

• Rosie Scribblah January 5, 2017 at 15:42 #

Thanks Michael. I like the chine colle but had a bit of trouble with the later ones. Might have to do a rethink…….

5. sheldonk2014 January 5, 2017 at 02:27 #

It’s beautiful

6. kestrelart January 5, 2017 at 00:41 #

Stunning print

• Rosie Scribblah January 5, 2017 at 00:44 #

Thanks Neil. I’ve been waiting for something to spark off some monotypes for a while now. Finally found it 😀

7. Phil Cooper January 4, 2017 at 23:02 #

Wow, seriously awesome print Rosie, it looks very uncanny indeed!

• Rosie Scribblah January 4, 2017 at 23:17 #

Thanks Phil 😀 I’m really excited by the way the images are developing in monotype, giving me lots of ideas…..