Wishy Washy

28 Aug

wp-image-488279820

I’ve been having a go at watercolours recently, since I won a really nice St. Cuthbert’s Mill Saunders Waterford glued watercolour block in a Facebook competition. I’m not really into painting but this is lovely paper and there’s a lot of it and, frankly, waste not, want not, as my Nana used to say. Husb and I stayed over in Lampeter yesterday, a mini staycation, and there was a lovely view from our room, but I’m always a bit stumped where to start with landscape so I decided to just block in areas of colour without being too worried about details. I used Winsor & Newton half pans. It was a very overcast and misty morning today and the colours were very soft and muted and to be honest, way too wishy-washy for my liking.

wp-image--1021730369

When I got home, I photographed it onto my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet and loaded it into my free Markers app and started scribbling over it. I feel a lot happier with the overlaid cross hatching and scribbled textures, but I think I need to go further; I think I need to work over it again and make it really dark and Gothic with just some tiny flecks of colour showing through. Something to do tomorrow.

I am putting my series of drawings of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder.  If you’d like to see them, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

St Elvis

7 Responses to “Wishy Washy”

1. emma cownie August 29, 2017 at 09:19 #

Thanks for the misting tip, Leonie. I think both “versions” were pretty good.

• Rosie Scribblah August 30, 2017 at 09:25 #

I’m going to keep playing, need time out to play occasionally 😀

2. Leonie Andrews August 28, 2017 at 23:48 #

Always a challenge moving out of your comfort zone. Don’t give up on the watercolours too easily! I personally think that because many of us had watercolours as children that all our experience refers back to then rather than the reality of what the medium is capable of. Try getting stronger colours by ‘activating’ your half pans with a mist of water before you start working. Make sure your brush is wetted out as well, then only add the minimum amount of water needed. Today’s pigments are usually quite strong, no need for wishy washy! (PS let me know if you need me to teach you to suck eggs 😅)

• Rosie Scribblah August 29, 2017 at 08:36 #

Thanks Leonie. That’s something I hadn’t heard of, misting the pans before using. I’ll give that a go. I need to be bolder.

• Leonie Andrews August 29, 2017 at 10:06 #

That’s what I would expect from you!

3. Helen Cherry August 28, 2017 at 23:03 #

MUCH better with all the scribbles !!

• Rosie Scribblah August 29, 2017 at 08:36 #

Yes I think so. I’m back in my comfort zone with the scribbles, but it’s all experimenting at the moment x