Nooks And Crannies

10 Apr

red c

This morning I carried on with my detour into randomness, overprinting yesterday’s yellow lino cuts with red (Caligo Easy Wipe in Process Magenta mixed 70:30 with Extender).

Because I had a moment of madness and ripped the paper with my bare hands instead of using a nice steel straight edge it was a bit awkward to take the prints with a Japanese baren, especially around the rough edges, so I used a smooth marble egg to get into the nooks and crannies.

red d

I saw marble eggs and spheres being used for hand printing when I did a residency in Pakistan a few years back, where there is a traditional marble carving industry. It works really well for small areas. The eggs are quite expensive so I’ve gotten into the habit of buying them from charity shops and car boot sales.

10 Responses to “Nooks And Crannies”

1. Alli Farkas April 11, 2018 at 19:07 #

Uh oh, a bit of art treason here–I think I like the inked lino “plates” better than the prints. They would look great hanging on a wall as a group. Heresy…

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2018 at 19:50 #

Not at all. I think the plates and blocks used in printmaking are beautiful in their own right, we just don’t have a tradition of exhibiting them here in the West.

2. Leonie Andrews April 11, 2018 at 07:32 #

The marble egg for printing is a great idea. I must keep an eye out for one at the op shop.

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2018 at 10:24 #

It’s useful for little prints and for doing some extra spot pressure

3. Sharon Mann April 11, 2018 at 01:46 #

Thanks for printing lesson, I love Lino prints.

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2018 at 10:24 #

I haven’t done any for ages, so it’s nice to get back into it 😀

4. paperstew April 11, 2018 at 00:50 #

The stone egg is something totally new to me. Not seen one, nor heard of it being used for block printing. Quite intriguing! Thanks!
    The random blocks have taken on a coral like appearance in my brain. Love how it’s going!

• Rosie Scribblah April 11, 2018 at 06:45 #

The little marble eggs are popular ornaments here, I have another egg in a teacup with a tea cosy on lol. And two pestles and mortars and a small elephant. We import a lot of Pakistani onyx into the UK, as ornaments and also for architecture, expensive kitchen work surfaces, mosaic tiles etc. It’s very beautiful and I visited a traditional workshop when I was in Pakistan.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Surrealists, Semiotics and Fifties Frock Fabric | scribblah - April 22, 2018

[…] with Extender in a 30:70 ratio. These were overprinted on two previous layers, Process Yellow and Process Magenta and I like the range of colours formed by the translucency of the inks. The purpose was to break […]

2. Surrealists In The Bathroom | scribblah - April 13, 2018

[…] was doing some experimental lino cuts earlier in the week, trying to push myself out of my comfort zone, printing hacked-up vinyl blocks […]

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )