A Wooden Selfie

10 Jun

process 1

I started a selfie today, a self portrait woodcut, using a piece of plywood. I transferred my drawing onto the wood and commenced hacking away with my Flexcut tools, they’re pretty good but plywood is quite tough and takes some effort.

I did a rubbing, with tracing paper and a graphite block, as I cut, to keep tabs on how it was progressing. Tomorrow I’ll do a first proof print to see exactly what’s going on and then finish the cutting, if necessary.

8 Responses to “A Wooden Selfie”

1. Leonie Andrews June 11, 2018 at 18:05 #

I love the concept of a wooden selfie. Can’t wait to see the result and does this count for your 100 portraits series?
    We have been driven particularly dotty on our travels by people simpering, posing and taking ‘beauty shots’ in front of famous art works. Much as I love to capture a detail or picture of a favourite art work I applaud galleries such as the Prado that insist that you attempt looking at the artwork.

• Rosie Scribblah June 12, 2018 at 12:11 #

I’m also driven mad by idiots in galleries and elsewhere who don’t bother with what’s around them, just obsessively take selfies.

• Leonie Andrews June 12, 2018 at 16:38 #

I am thinking we should start calling them ‘selfishes’ šŸ˜…

• Rosie Scribblah June 13, 2018 at 11:33 #

Brilliant!!!

2. Nancy Farmer June 11, 2018 at 14:40 #

really interesting to see the progress of the image!

• Rosie Scribblah June 12, 2018 at 12:12 #

I’ve done a lino selfie before, the wood is quite rough so this is more brutal

3. alethakuschan June 10, 2018 at 23:55 #

always a wonderful bit of mystery attached to print making

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )