Pressure And Strokes

17 Apr

Swansea Bay 2

Another quick sketch from Swansea Bay yesterday with conté crayons into my A4 brown paper sketchbook. I concentrated on capturing a sense of the atmosphere, rather thanSwansea Bay 1 fine detail. I limit myself to three colours, white, sanguine and black, so different tones have to be achieved by varying the pressure on the conté sticks and overlaying one colour with strokes of another. The brown coloured paper gives me a ready-made mid-tone to work over, which makes life a bit easier. A lot easier really, as I don’t have to face the tyranny of a pristine white sheet.

I have put my series of drawings en plein air of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder.  If you want to see more, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page. This one is the legendary grave of Saint Elfys (Elvis) in Pembrokeshire, not for from the Presceli Mountains. Elfys? Presceli? Elvis Presley? Coincidence? hhhmmmm

St Elvis

8 Responses to “Pressure And Strokes”

1. kestrelart April 24, 2017 at 23:57 #

I love this and remember the scene well from my childhood though no wind turbines then.

• Rosie Scribblah April 25, 2017 at 09:39 #

There are a handful dotted along the shore but they rarely seem to move.

2. alethakuschan April 24, 2017 at 23:44 #

Quite an atmospheric effect!

3. jhv57 April 20, 2017 at 13:55 #

Evocative. Like your palette.

4. Alli Farkas April 18, 2017 at 02:30 #

Your technique on this one reminds me of when I first started a drawing class with a new teacher. He had us using only the white paper (not so lucky as you!) for the white in the drawing, plus a medium gray and black. We really had to work to decide which category of our three choices each shade of what we were drawing fell into. But the end results were often quite pleasing!

• Rosie Scribblah April 18, 2017 at 03:29 #

That’s a good idea. I like doing drawing exercises, really sharpens my technique 😊