As Dark As It Gets

11 Sep

wp-image--479340

This started as a very pale watercolour landscape that I uploaded onto my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet into a free Markers app. I’ve been making it darker and darker with cross-hatching and scribbles but I think this is about as dark as I can go with it.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The slides show the process from the original little painting, Winsor & Newton half pans onto St. Cuthbert’s Mill watercolour paper, through to the final, rather Gothic, drawing of darkness. I don’t normally work like this, it’s been good for me to break out of my comfort zone.

A lot of my artwork is available on my Artfinder gallery.  If you’d like to have a look, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

Gors Fawr, near Mynachlog-ddu in the Preseli mountains, a lush green bog fringed with glowing hills.

8 Responses to “As Dark As It Gets”

1. Phil Cooper September 13, 2017 at 19:55 #

Wow, is this done on an app Rosie? You get the most terrific lively feel in your digital drawings!

• Rosie Scribblah September 13, 2017 at 22:10 #

Thanks Phil. The original is a rather insipid little watercolour uploaded into a free app called Markers.

2. Alli Farkas September 11, 2017 at 22:22 #

I think I’m most attracted to the fourth iteration, but I’m not the artist so I completely understand pushing it as far as you can!

• Rosie Scribblah September 11, 2017 at 22:43 #

The beauty of working digitally is that each phase is saved and stored so doesn’t get destroyed.

3. outsideauthority September 11, 2017 at 21:20 #

They’ve become strange, hooded figures. Intriguing progression

• Rosie Scribblah September 11, 2017 at 22:42 #

There’s a definite metamorphosis. It’s very different for me. I don’t know where it will lead….

• Margaret Parker Brown September 12, 2017 at 01:32 #

that is the fun part, not knowing but it can also unnerving, I dealt with that myself just today.

• Rosie Scribblah September 12, 2017 at 07:31 #

I think we have to give ourselves time to experiment and fail if we have to, in order to develop.