Wo/Man Buns

14 Nov

woman bunz

I was sitting on the bus to our local hospital to visit a relative this evening and a young man and woman sat in front of me. They were dressed in similar clothes and had identical hairstyles. Both had longer hair on top, drawn up into a bun, and shaved close to the head below. Both had pierced ears, the young woman had inserts about the size of a 10p piece while the young man’s were smaller and both had other piercings along their ears and in their noses. My late Dad would have said “Can’t tell the girls from the boys these days” but he said that back in the 1970s when I used to wear jeans, boots and a leather jacket and rode a motorbike, which he seriously disapproved of. There’s a lot of fuss about ‘gender fluidity’ lately but it isn’t really any different to our adulation in the ’70s for David Bowie and Marc Bolan, who pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable in male fashion and style. The sky didn’t fall on our heads back then and it won’t now.

10 Responses to “Wo/Man Buns”

1. sueblackpenart November 15, 2017 at 06:29 #

Aw, a lot fun it indeed is, observing other people. I catch myself gaping at structures of hair and other stuff as well. For others it might even not be interesting at all. Sometimes it’s just about observing, I think. One time I was so very mesmerized with the structure of some kind of posh patchwork bag, that first, I was longing to feel it’s various surfaces, hand almost stretching out, as if I were some weird child, and second, I missed my stop.

• Rosie Scribblah November 15, 2017 at 10:17 #

hahaha I get really absorbed in things too, much to the embarrassment of my young nieces and nephews 😀

• sueblackpenart November 15, 2017 at 10:25 #

Arr, they’ll get over it… Never stop, in my opinion there are far too many who take things for granted, don’t really get astounded anymore.

2. Catwoods November 15, 2017 at 01:55 #

Marvelous drawing as always. And I so agree! I just wear what I need to slog through the woods or stay comfortable or stay warm enough and the heck with “style” unless I’m going out to an event. I was going to answer your last comment and found the system won’t allow any more comments on that one conversation. So I’ll just say that being cats, Sparta Puss and Ultraviolet certainly know who the smartest animals are!

• Rosie Scribblah November 15, 2017 at 10:17 #

Oh they certainly do. We think we’re the top of the tree but who lives off our labours? Yes you guessed it.

3. emje November 15, 2017 at 01:45 #

this is my hairstyle of choice. as a 47 year old woman (who has had this hairstyle off & on since 1990) i grin whenever i see a 20-something sporting it. i was often been mistaken for a boy when i was younger, and now i have sons with hair longer than mine 🙂 the other day i was watching videos from the 80s–full of men wearing way more makeup than i have ever worn–and wondering how there were people still upset about gender bending & gender fluidity.
    ps. i like your sketches!

• Rosie Scribblah November 15, 2017 at 10:20 #

I so agree. I’ve always been a ‘tomboy’ and have one frock in my wardrobe – for best – but best never happens and I haven’t worn it for about 8 years 😀

• Rosie Scribblah November 15, 2017 at 10:20 #

ps thanks for liking my sketches 🙂

4. sheldonk2014 November 15, 2017 at 01:00 #

People always need something to talk about

• Rosie Scribblah November 15, 2017 at 10:18 #

They do indeed, and it’s always what ‘the younger generation’ are up to 😀