Randomness Ensued

28 Nov

caligo 1

I did an afternoon of experiments at The Workers Gallery last week, trying out different combinations of inks and papers on a Gelli Arts gelatine printing plate. I want to print papers for collage. I did some basic experiments a few weeks ago and I wanted to do something a bit more advanced to see what the technique is capable of.

tissue net

I used two different types of pigment – Caligo Safewash ink (oil-based) and Liquitex paint (acrylic) and two papers to print on – Daler Rowney cartridge paper and Hosho Japanese tissue. I also used ripped tissue paper and fruit net bags as stencils to add variation to colour and texture. I took two prints from each inking – a full colour one and a paler ‘ghost secondary image.

The Caligo inks had greater translucency and depth but in future I’ll try the Liquitex with a medium to thin it out a bit and see if I can get a more translucent paint. I prefer the Hosho paper, it gives much more luminosity than the Daler Rowney cartridge. The stencils – tissue and fruit net – worked really well and it was exciting when I took the paper off the plate to see what randomness endued.

8 Responses to “Randomness Ensued”

1. Yul K December 1, 2017 at 22:04 #

Amazing. It’s the first time I felt beauty and energy from the look of a fruit net.

• Rosie Scribblah December 3, 2017 at 13:26 #

Hahaha thank you 😀 Bubble wrap is good too

• Yul K December 3, 2017 at 13:50 #

Thank you – that’s a lesson to me. I feel like I have been judgmental about some industrial materials and just thought that they are unseemly. But perhaps the beauty was just waiting to be recognized.

• Rosie Scribblah December 3, 2017 at 16:30 #

It’s great to reuse them and they bring a strange modernity to traditional materials and techniques

2. outsideauthority November 29, 2017 at 08:37 #

Stunning!

3. Leonie Andrews November 29, 2017 at 00:50 #

I had great fun at my gelli printing worshop the other week. Two results I found useful was spraying an almost paintless plate with water and then printing it off . Great for backgrounds for over-printing and for sketching over. Unlikely as it seemed I found that metallic acrylic paint, silver in particular, very useful in a mix of stronger colours. Believe me I am not a ‘metallic’ person so no one was more surprised than me!

• Rosie Scribblah November 29, 2017 at 06:20 #

Oooh thanks for the tips. I have some metallic acrylics