Rubbish

  I’ve just done a dozen or so monotypes using rubbish. I recently became the artist in residence with the FIRE Lab at Swansea University and I’ve been going out on field trips with the science team along the River Tawe, looking at its ecosystem, which includes noting the rubbish. We used some rubbish weContinue reading “Rubbish”

Randomness Ensued

I did an afternoon of experiments at The Workers Gallery last week, trying out different combinations of inks and papers on a Gelli Arts gelatine printing plate. I want to print papers for collage. I did some basic experiments a few weeks ago and I wanted to do something a bit more advanced to seeContinue reading “Randomness Ensued”

Translucent Overlays

I’ve been experimenting with Gelli Art gelatine plates for printmaking again. This time I used Caligo Safewash oil-based printing inks mixed with extender to make them translucent and overlaid the monotype three times, once in Process Yellow, then Process magenta and finally Process Cyan. I’ll explain the process in tomorrow’s blog. This is one ofContinue reading “Translucent Overlays”

The Last Experiment (for now)

I’ve been experimenting doing monotypes on a gel plate from Gelli Arts, trying out different inks and paints over the last week or so. I’ve finished for the time being, ending up with Caligo Safe Wash oil-based printing inks. I used Process Yellow, Magenta and Cyan mixed approximately 50:50 with the brand’s Extender for translucencyContinue reading “The Last Experiment (for now)”

Jelly And Liquitex

So, still experimenting with the Gelli Arts plate, this time trying out Liquitex Heavy Body acrylic paint. It gives excellent coverage and takes textures really well. Almost all the ink comes off onto the paper – Daler Rowney cartridge 90gsm – with gentle rubbing, leaving very little for a ‘ghost’ print. The only problem IContinue reading “Jelly And Liquitex”