The Difference Of Materials

14 Apr

The difference of materials. I was engrossed in drawing at Galerie Simpson on Swansea’s High Street a couple of days ago. I’d taken a few sheets of very different papers and lots of drawing materials and I settled down to draw a fascinating clay sculpture by Tomos Sparnon which is in the current exhibition.

sculpture 3

The first drawing I did in white, sanguine and black conté crayons onto a piece of smooth heavyweight cartridge paper that I had prepared with a coat of white acrylic gesso and then when it was dry I sponged it all over with my sepia home-made walnut ink. After drawing in conté crayons, I filled the area around the drawing with a square ended brush dipped in the walnut ink. I love the way the ink flows over gessoed paper and how it holds the brushstrokes. It’s a delicious ink to use, like liquid silk.

Then I moved my chair to take in a different angle and drew, again with the white, sanguine and black conté crayons onto a sheet of heavily textured grey Khadi paper. The result is completely different. I know I’m stating the blatantly obvious, but I was surprised at the extent of the differences. You can just see Tomos’ sculpture in the background.

10 Responses to “The Difference Of Materials”

1. Alli Farkas April 17, 2018 at 14:29 #

I took a class where, among other things, we painted with coffee. Just in case you happen to run out of walnuts some day. 😊

2. paperstew April 15, 2018 at 22:41 #

Both renditions are fab! What a great day! 🙂

3. jhv57 April 15, 2018 at 17:18 #

No interest there, either. I will find books homes somewhere. Can’t stand the thought of a landfill.
    Lost our lease. Only have a few weeks to process all our possessions.
    Blessed be, something will work out.

4. Sharon Mann April 15, 2018 at 14:52 #

I love all of the texture and dimension.

5. jhv57 April 15, 2018 at 11:02 #

Thank you! This is more like a fire sale!
    The thing I find most appalling is that no one wants books. Can’t give away to libraries anymore. I have a huge amount of books from my family. My parents lived in a 3 bedroom ranch house. After my sister and I left home , One of the bedrooms became “fiction, the second room nonfiction.
    Anyway looks like half of my things will have to be sold or donated. No idea or enough time to do this. And artwork.
    My hope is that this drastic change will eventually be to our benefit.
    Thanks for your positive comments!

• Rosie Scribblah April 15, 2018 at 12:36 #

Do you have any auction houses locally? Interior designers often buy big lots of books from auction houses, well they do over this side of the pond anyway. A change is as good as a rest, so they say xx

6. jhv57 April 15, 2018 at 00:50 #

Cool stuff, girl!
    I have to move, so I’m breaking down my home studio. Unpleasant surprise.
    Looking forward to finding a new place- and overwhelmed.
    Something about having to touch and evaluate all you own. Will be good to get away from this 4th floor walk up. Too difficult with the walker and fractures.
    Then I can start back in the studio. Hurrah!

• Rosie Scribblah April 15, 2018 at 05:14 #

Decluttering? I keep doing it then people give me more stuff 😊 All the very best in your new place x

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w