The Same Thing Every Year!

15 Apr

herstory

It’s the same every year on our allotment (community garden). Husb and I resolve to do the correct thing and work on it for an hour, then two, then three and so on, building up the muscles that have atrophied over the deluge that passes for the British winter. Unfortunately, the deluge keeps on happening in this little corner of Wales and so whenever there’s a rare glimmer of sunshine, we rush down to the allotment and work for as long and as hard as we can to keep on top of the couch grass and weeds that thrive in our temperate wet climate. Yesterday was one of those days. We went down in the morning to do a “couple of hours” but ended up working through nearly seven hours of hard labour. It felt great at the time but today….!!!! I’d be on my knees if I could bend down, which I can’t.

Welfare poster

This afternoon was the launch of a group exhibition that I have some work in, at The Welfare in Ystradgynlais. Here I am with “Herstory”, the collaborative piece I did for International Women’s Day with graffiti artist Unity. I think I’m making a good job of disguising the fact that every muscle in my body (so it seems) has seized up! Oh, and it poured with rain. Again.

12 Responses to “The Same Thing Every Year!”

1. Phil Cooper April 17, 2018 at 15:51 #

Herstory does look fab on the gallery wall Rosie. Hope the sunshine has arrived today and you can get back to the digging lol , allotments sure are hard work huh?

• Rosie Scribblah April 17, 2018 at 23:32 #

Not a chance! Maybe a glimmer of sun by the weekend ☺

2. Alli Farkas April 17, 2018 at 14:35 #

Had to spend 5 hours last week cleaning up and prepping my small garden because I didn’t get the cleanup part done last fall. Needed a little pharmaceutical help the next day…

3. alethakuschan April 16, 2018 at 15:25 #

Beautiful picture! Good to have something to enjoy while you recover from the gardening. Mother Nature is a hard task master.

4. Sharon Mann April 16, 2018 at 15:02 #

Gardening and art, a great combo to spend your time creating. Your new art is inspiring.

5. SiverBlack April 16, 2018 at 11:57 #

That piece turned out amazing!

• Rosie Scribblah April 16, 2018 at 12:35 #

Thank you 😀 I’m hoping to collaborate with this artist again

6. paperstew April 15, 2018 at 22:46 #

Still raining here too. At least the trees and grass are green! Hope your body recovers a bit today. Makes me sore just thinking about it!
    Lovely collaborative work!

• Rosie Scribblah April 16, 2018 at 00:07 #

It’s easing a bit now, it’ll be fine after a few more sessions 😀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )