The Edwardian Singer

3 Apr

corona 1

So I’m finally getting some creative ideas from the pandemic lockdown and I’m getting my kit together to make a start this weekend. I’ll be starting with some sewing, using my lovely Edwardian Singer machine. I love it and use it a lot, it’s better than the electric machines I’ve had over the years. Singers have a metal plate with a serial number and you can look it up online to find the date. This one is from 1904, in the middle of the reign of Edward 7th.

8 Responses to “The Edwardian Singer”

1. anna warren portfolio April 7, 2020 at 02:46 #

My mother had a sewing machine exactly like this, I think it came from her aunt. I used it to make my wedding dress in 1981, something I look back on in astonishment, because I was never a keen sewer and there was a lot of work in a full length dress and fitted jacket … I do remember a lot of cursing and unpicking though. But it made a lovely sound as I wound the handle. Where it is now I have no idea. Such a beautiful object.

2. Helen Cherry April 4, 2020 at 22:53 #

How wonderful to be able to identify the date. I love that!

• Rosie Scribblah April 6, 2020 at 12:26 #

My late neighbour gave it to me, it was her mothers 🙂

3. Alli Farkas April 4, 2020 at 22:13 #

I learned on an old Singer treadle machine, but I don’t think it was as old as yours. It was my mother’s, and she didn’t sew much except for repairs. She probably got around the time she got married, which was 1933. I got a new electric one as a graduation present from eighth grade and I still have it, so I guess it could be considered sort of an antique too.

4. Mary Donato April 3, 2020 at 21:50 #

What a lovely old Singer! It looks like a hand-crank model (?). Beautiful gold detailing still there! Is it one with the Sphinx style decoration? drool.
    It’s really true about the older Singers, even the electric ones – they often stitch straighter and smoother than more recent ones. Looking forward to seeing what you make.
    Mary in Boise

• Rosie Scribblah April 6, 2020 at 12:59 #

Yes there’s a sphinx! I don’t know about the straightness issue – this is my first Singer. I love it though