My Mojo Is Back

6 Apr

isolate 1

Today I started what I hope will be one of many small linocuts inspired, if that’s the right word, by the Covid19 pandemic and the extraordinary times we are living through.

isolate 2

I’m using the hard brown lino with a hessian backing. It’s very, very hard and I should have popped it into the oven to soften it first, but I was too impatient to crack on. It was okay, just a bit tough on my fingers.

isolate 3

Week one of lockdown put me into survivalist mode; cooking, preserving, shopping for relatives, getting the allotment into shape, DIY around the place, but no creative impetus at all. Week 2 and I slumped, hard to motivate myself to do anything. Now at the beginning of week 3, my arty mojo seems to be back! Tomorrow I print.

9 Responses to “My Mojo Is Back”

1. Leonie Andrews April 6, 2020 at 22:44 #

Good to hear that your mojo is back Rose! It does seem to come and go when we are stressed.

I mucked around yesterday, not doing much, but on the plus side it gave my shoulder a break from all the stitching that I have been doing.

• Rosie Scribblah April 8, 2020 at 10:43 #

Yes, I seemed to switch to full-on survival setting at first, now I’m a bit calmer – with a freezer full of cooked food! I’m ready to make art again

• Rosie Scribblah April 8, 2020 at 17:05 #

Except my sewing skills are soooo rusty 😀

2. Helen Cherry April 6, 2020 at 22:38 #

Glad you have your arty mojo back Rose.. I need my concentration Mojo because that seems to have completely gone out of the window!

• Rosie Scribblah April 8, 2020 at 10:44 #

Strange, strange times. What will the psychologists make of it when it’s all over?

• Helen Cherry April 8, 2020 at 12:32 #

There will be many people damaged by it – not least those subjected to domestic violence 😦

• Rosie Scribblah April 8, 2020 at 17:04 #

My niece works for Womens Aid and she’s horrified by the amount of murders the past couple of weeks 😥

• Helen Cherry April 8, 2020 at 18:16 #

It was sadly inevitable though it pains me to say that. In one of then offices I worked in as a Social Worker I shared an office with the DV team.. Whenever there was a big football match the reports of DV always went up and at any of the holidays – Easter, Christmas etc.. I remember hearing screaming down the phone when a women had locked herself in the bathroom and was waiting for the police to arrive while her partner was trying to break the door down. One of the DV team was on the phone to the police while this was going on. There were many such incidences. I don’t know how they did their job.