Framing The Model

4 Jul

Here’s the last life drawing I did at this week’s session, it’s a 50 minute pose and I used Daler Rowney Artist’s soft pastels onto a heavyweight vintage paper. It’s always a bit of a problem fitting the model onto the paper, so framing the subject is important. I decided to put our model into the background so I could fit him all in and emphasised the geometric shapes of the materials and cushions he was sitting on to fill up the rest of the paper.

The pastels are gorgeous. They’re nice to scribble with but they really shine with saturated pigment when I rub them with my fingers, releasing the oils and vibrant colours. Rubbing emphasises the rough texture of the beautiful paper as well.

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artifacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left and to see the complete image.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

9 Responses to “Framing The Model”

1. viviennelingard August 20, 2021 at 00:05 #

I like your colour and bold approach to your work. I would have like to see some space above the head and less at the bottom. Then, the negative spaces are equal. Sorry, always a teacher.

2. Sketchuniverse August 19, 2021 at 20:09 #

Reblogged this on sketchuniverse and commented:
    🧔🏻🖍️ HI SISTERS! HERE IS SOMETHING REMINDING OF WORKS BY PICASSO. DARING STROKES AND BEAUTIFUL COLOURS.

3. Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2021 at 10:43 #

Yes, they tend not to be bulky and rectangular 😀 LOL ….. but maybe some are 😉

4. Alli Farkas July 5, 2021 at 01:21 #

I always had that same problem with life drawing—fitting the model onto the paper!

5. Lois July 4, 2021 at 23:38 #

I love this, and love the way the fabric in the foreground draws the eye towards the model emphasising that he’s the important feature of the drawing. It’s interesting reading how you planned the way you were going to frame your drawing – I’d never thought of this but it’s obvious, isn’t it!

• Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2021 at 10:42 #

Yes, there’s always the issue of exactly what you draw, I guess it’s the same with writing. You could draw / write so much but you have to edit some things out, or try from a different angle ….

• Lois July 5, 2021 at 11:04 #

yes, that’s true – sometimes the most important part is in the background and the reader/viewer has to be drawn to it. I find it tricky not to be too obscure, but not to make it too easy or give the game away! Lots of hints and nudges but lightly done!

• Rosie Scribblah July 5, 2021 at 11:16 #

It’s like editing before something is even on the paper and often that’s instinctive, although instincts built up over years of experience and practice 🙂

• Lois July 5, 2021 at 20:16 #

Yes, absolutely! My head is busy all the time… which I guess is why I am so forgetful about real things!