But Is It Art?

7 Mar
Gooseberry Crumble.

I found some of last Summer’s allotment gooseberries in the freezer, so they had to be converted into a crumble! Husb says it’s a work of art.

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks.

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the antique taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these vintage artefacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

6 Responses to “But Is It Art?”

1. Leonie Andrews March 7, 2022 at 22:40 #

Your husband is absolutely correct! Alas our gooseberries, which have failed yet again to fruit (5+ years), will shortly be vacating their garden space for something more amenable to being productive.

• Rosie Scribblah March 8, 2022 at 22:07 #

They’re very temperamental! The pruning has to be spot on and they like a handful of potash as soon as the flowers appear, but not a moment before otherwise they use it to grow loads of leaves and branches but no fruit!!!! Even so, they have years where we get loads and other years barely enough for a couple of crumbles.

• Leonie Andrews March 8, 2022 at 22:37 #

Ah, I had see that the pruning was tricky. Alas it probably won’t save ours. If we had even had some fruit there might have been a reprieve.

• Rosie Scribblah March 10, 2022 at 20:19 #

That’s a shame. Had you considered trying jostaberries? They’re a cross between blackcurrant and gooseberry and are far more vigorous and have a much higher yield than gooseberries. I get aroung 2.5 kilos of fruit every year from each jostaberry plant. Delicious cooked and particularly good in jam and cordials.

• Leonie Andrews March 11, 2022 at 04:26 #

Luckily we can pick plenty of wild blackberries, like the 6 kilos worth we picked a few weeks ago. So at present they will just be replaced by other vegetables.

• Rosie Scribblah March 13, 2022 at 17:01 #

oooh blackberries are lovely, one of my favourites