The Sinister Skull

27 Jan

mono-12

I thought I had blogged all the monotypes I made from my Mari Lwyd drawings but I overlooked this one. It was the last that I did that day and maybe because I was tired and hungry, it’s probably the most sinister of the series. Mari Lwyd is actually quite a fun tradition, with lots of banter, drinking and skittishness although people unfamiliar with it are often spooked by the horse’s skull!

I am putting my series of drawings of ancient Welsh monuments on Artfinder.  If you want to buy one, you can see them by clicking on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

St Elvis

8 Responses to “The Sinister Skull”

1. kestrelart January 29, 2017 at 00:43 #

Stunning

• Rosie Scribblah January 29, 2017 at 12:13 #

Thank you. I wasn’t sure about this one at first because it is so much more abstract than the others but I think it suits the subject matter.

2. Kathryn deVillers January 28, 2017 at 03:11 #

Reductive monotype seems like such a simple process, but I’ve found it quite difficult to pull off. This series of prints is an amazing accomplishment.

• Rosie Scribblah January 29, 2017 at 12:10 #

Thank you Kathryn. I had some technical problems. I think I had better results with the Caligo ink and John Green paper. It is sometimes just a matter of trying out different paper / ink combos. Hope you’re going to try again ☺

3. Alli Farkas January 28, 2017 at 02:49 #

This last one is a real beauty. Not in the traditional sense, but you get what I mean, right? Artistically speaking.

• Rosie Scribblah January 29, 2017 at 12:08 #

Oh yes, thank you. I was a bit worried because it’s the most abstracted but I think it suits the subject.

4. Phil Cooper January 27, 2017 at 22:13 #

Love it Rosie, it is sinister, but it has a mesmerising strangeness to it, which is a great thing!

• Rosie Scribblah January 29, 2017 at 12:07 #

Thanks Phil. Monotype seems to suit the subject. I am tempted to try woodcut next