Still Tweaking The Five o Clock Shadow

28 Dec

pearl 6

I’ve been tweaking my fake painting of Vermeer’s “Girl With A Pearl Earring” and I’m so very nearly there. I’ve slimmed down her cheeks and lifted the too-droopy left eyelid and firmed up her chin and jawline. But now there’s too much grey and black, the poor thing looks like she has five-o-clock shadow, so I’m going to have to find a way of applying flesh tones while keeping the shading – this is new to me as I’m not an experienced painter, this is a learning experience. I also need to do a bit more on her left eye, she’s looking slightly boss eyed at the moment, and finer brushwork on her clothes. I’m using Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics onto canvas and here are the previous stages.

I started this in an online tutorial with the painter Ed Sumner, who also runs the Cheese and Wine Painting Club on Fridays on Facebook. He’s got a great series of painting events coming up – here.

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artifacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left and to see the complete image.

Inspired by drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artefacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

8 Responses to “Still Tweaking The Five o Clock Shadow”

1. Alli Farkas December 30, 2020 at 01:16 #

Onward! You’ll get it done, and have the educational artist experience to boot!

• Rosie Scribblah December 30, 2020 at 12:42 #

I’m psyching myself up to doing it today. The hardest bit yet. I think maybe it would be easier in oils, like the original?

• Alli Farkas December 30, 2020 at 20:11 #

Keep softening the edges. You can do it with acrylics, you just have to do it faster, or use an acrylic medium to extend your work time. You’ll get there! 👍

• Rosie Scribblah December 30, 2020 at 22:51 #

Oooh thanks for the tip about the extender. I use it with printmaking, but that’s an oil based one. I’ll order some online tomorrow.

2. Helen Cherry December 29, 2020 at 00:28 #

I particularly love this portrait and loved the film too

3. Hansi December 29, 2020 at 00:15 #

Wow…you captured the Vermeer image well. I gotta take issue with you on calling these works “Fakes”. There’s a lot to be learned by copying from or ‘after’ the masters. I did it in college, and saw students actually painting form the originals in the Louvre. I think it helps in honing one’s technical skills with a medium…oil?

• Rosie Scribblah December 30, 2020 at 12:41 #

Thanks Hansi. I’m learning so much by doing there. I’m using acrylics, oils will take way too long 😀