Urban Shredder

25 Aug

Millane 1

Husb and I spent the day in Cardiff at the Mill Lane Arts Week en plein air public art event. Most of the artists there today were painting but I don’t really ‘get’ paint so I did a collage. I’ve been preparing collage papers all week ( please see the last few blog posts) and I got stuck into shredding and sticking the urban cityscape in front of me.

Millane 2

I worked onto a discarded print, a large linocut that hadn’t worked out but turned on its side, it was a good starting point. Then I added some large-ish areas of colour and texture from some unwanted screen prints, then began shredding in earnest to build up detail. I had wondered about working in some linear details with conté crayon or oil bars, but in the end I liked the rough abstract nature of it.

Loads of artists have been working en plein air throughout the week and our work is on display on Level 2, 10, Mill Lane, Cardiff for the next few days, if you’re anywhere near.

A lot of my artwork is available on my Artfinder gallery.  If you’d like to have a look, please click on the image below or the Artfinder link at the top right of this page.

13 Responses to “Urban Shredder”

1. Leonie Andrews August 29, 2017 at 11:18 #

Great collage, you are obviously anatural shredder!

2. artsofmay August 27, 2017 at 14:07 #

A very strong piece. It’s great how all the elements come together. Love it.

3. Phil Cooper August 26, 2017 at 21:45 #

Wow, this is such an awesome collage Rosie, the medium so suits your direct approach, it’s full of interest but hangs together as a complete image wonderfully 😊

• Rosie Scribblah August 27, 2017 at 08:51 #

Thank you, Phil. I would never have tackled collage if it hadn’t been for you and Michael Richards encouraging me. I really enjoyed doing it and so many people stopped to chat. Almost everyone else was painting so people were intrigued by the difference and wanted to know more.

4. Michael Richards (certainline) August 26, 2017 at 19:56 #

Great collage, Rosie. I also love the sustaining big bag of crisps under the easel…

5. outsideauthority August 26, 2017 at 13:36 #

Excellent!

6. jhv57 August 26, 2017 at 00:54 #

You are so strong with”line”. I am more natural with areas. Started as a painter.
    I find this all fascinating. Better with line now, but still think first in areas of color.
    Hmmm

• Rosie Scribblah August 27, 2017 at 08:47 #

Yes, I have to work hard to suppress my linear urges. I had intended to draw linear detail over the collage but decided against it.

• jhv57 August 27, 2017 at 14:30 #

Always go with your instinct. Wouldn’t be your art otherwise.

• Rosie Scribblah August 28, 2017 at 01:51 #