Gold Mine In The Rain

2 Apr

Dolaucothi

It’s the British Bank Holiday so of course, the rain was tipping down. Husb and I got fed up looking out of the window at the Easter deluge and took off up to Dolaucothi to have a look around the Roman goldmine. It’s a lovely part of the country and we had a good time, despite the torrential sky juice.

The mines were originally worked in pre-Roman times, then the Romans invaded and took them over. Then they fell into disuse until the Victorians had a go and they finally closed in the 1940’s so there was a lot of historical stuff to see on site. I had a scribble, sheltering in the engine house and sketching the industrial machinery and landscape outside, using white, sanguine and black conté crayons into my A4 brown paper sketchbook.

7 Responses to “Gold Mine In The Rain”

1. paperstew April 4, 2018 at 01:47 #

Sky juice! I love it!
    What an interesting bit of history. I had no clue about the Roman goldmines. Hope the weather is clearing soon.😁

• Rosie Scribblah April 4, 2018 at 05:06 #

Yes, main reason the Romans wanted to invade, tin mines in Cornwall and gold mines in Wales, there’s another in North Wales. Julius Caesar tried first, a few decades BCE then Claudius succeeded a few decades ACE. The mining had been going on a long time before, back into prehistory.

2. alethakuschan April 3, 2018 at 18:08 #

what a marvelous use for a rainy day!

• Rosie Scribblah April 4, 2018 at 05:07 #

Loads of other people thought so too, it was packed which meant we couldn’t get on one of the underground tours. We will just have to go again!

3. sheldonk2014 April 3, 2018 at 00:30 #

I have learned a lot
    From you and few others
    Everyday you must take your talents to task
    Doesn’t matter what the subject matter is
    You must exercise your talents
    Or……….
    Sheldon

• Rosie Scribblah April 3, 2018 at 07:54 #

Thank you Sheldon. I constantly struggle against complacency ☺

• sheldonk2014 April 3, 2018 at 13:27 #

Everyone struggles I just did a new piece
        After finding reasons why I shouldn’t,I really do love it
        Sheldon

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w