Blue Wash

30 Aug

develop 1

Today I developed yesterday’s cyanotypes in the garden shed. Husb has been making the shed, from scratch, for about 3 years now and it’s nearly finished. He’s plumbed in an old Belfast sink which is big and deep enough to easily develop the pictures. I soaked them for 5 minutes under running water, then 20 minutes in a tray of still water with a spot of vinegar in it – apparently it increases the contrast.

More tomorrow……

6 Responses to “Blue Wash”

1. Margaret Parker Brown September 1, 2019 at 01:21 #

Gorgeous!! I love the organic look 😍

• Rosie Scribblah September 1, 2019 at 08:30 #

Thanks Margaret. I can see why Victorian botanists took to it so readily.

2. paperstew August 31, 2019 at 19:44 #

I just love what you’re creating with the cyanotypes. Didn’t know about the vinegar. Printing with plants is quite an amazing process. Any photos of the shed? Glad M is making it happen, no matter what the timeline is. 🙂

• Rosie Scribblah September 1, 2019 at 08:29 #

Thanks Gale. The shed is still a work in progress. Luckily the sink is by the door so I can just about squeeze in and use it. I’ll send photos when it’s finished. It’s nearly there. I only just learned about the vinegar. It’s supposed to increase contrast and the latest batch certainly seem to have more contrast, but I’m not sure I like it as much as the muted greyish ones. But it’s not an exact process so …..

3. Leonie Andrews August 31, 2019 at 13:54 #

Interesting about the vinegar. We use a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide.

• Rosie Scribblah August 31, 2019 at 17:23 #

I’ve read some instructions that say to use that too