Cheesey Baconey Comfort Food

29 Mar

bacon bread 1

More pandemic cooking today – comfort food to the max! Here’s a yeast free Cheese and Bacon Bread recipe by Gwynn Galvin on the Swirls of Flavor website  that my mate June sent me on Facebook. It’s an American recipe which gave me a chance to use my fancy schmancy set of Joseph Joseph measuring cups.

First, preheat your oven to 180C, 350F or gas mark 4 and grease 1 large or two smaller loaf tins with vegetable oil. Snip the rind off three rashers of streaky bacon and cut them into small strips. Fry them until crispy. Put 2.5 cups of plain flour into a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of sugar.

Add 4 teaspoons of baking powder and a cup of grated strong cheddar. Meanwhile melt 4 tablespoons of butter.

It’s wild garlic season and although the original recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules, I substituted this with half a cup of snipped wild garlic leaves and added these to the dry ingredients and mixed them in with my hands. Beat one large egg and measure out a cup of milk.

Pour all the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl – that’s the melted butter, milk and beaten egg and mix them in gently with a large metal spoon. Don’t overmix as this will make the bread denser. Put the mix into the loaf tin/s and sprinkle some more grated cheese on top. Bake for about 45 minutes for a large loaf or 35-ish for the two smaller ones. They should be golden brown and if you stick a metal skewer into the centre it should come out clean. Leave them in the tins for about 5 minutes then remove them and cool them on a metal rack – the one from your grill pan will do.

bacon bread 4

I served the bread still warm in thick slices with home-made root vegetable soup. It is LUSH!

You can find the original recipe here

11 Responses to “Cheesey Baconey Comfort Food”

1. paperstew March 30, 2020 at 05:06 #

Yummy! Lovely photos too!

• Rosie Scribblah April 2, 2020 at 14:08 #

Thanks Gale. Instagram filters and too much time on my hands. Are you in lockdown yet? xx

• paperstew April 3, 2020 at 01:31 #

We’re just finishing our third week on lock down. It started early for us due to the company Dave works for in the Seattle area. Just as well. We don’t need extra exposure to virus activity.

• Rosie Scribblah April 6, 2020 at 13:02 #

Good idea. I think the lockdowns should have started sooner. We’ve got our storecupboard and we can cook so we’re having quite a nice time really x

2. Helen Cherry March 29, 2020 at 22:27 #

Lush indeed.. great photography too Rose !

• Rosie Scribblah April 2, 2020 at 14:09 #

Thanks Helen. How you coping with lockdown? xx

• Helen Cherry April 2, 2020 at 16:48 #

Doing well Rose, I live on my own anyway and very self sufficient. So not much change really! My daughter is helping me food wise because I have to self isolate for health reasons. How are you doing?

• Rosie Scribblah April 6, 2020 at 13:09 #

We’re okay thanks. We work mostly from home anyway and are very active on social media, so we’re used to it x

• Helen Cherry April 6, 2020 at 13:20 #

and very busy in the kitchen !! 😉

3. Lois Elsden March 29, 2020 at 22:14 #

Thanks very much!! Looks so fab, I’m having a bit of a drool! We will try tomorrow – and we will use our Joseph Joseph measuring spoons, bowls etc too!

• Rosie Scribblah April 2, 2020 at 14:12 #

How odd, it asked me to approve your comment. I don’t know why – gremlins I guess