Music And Mark Making

18 Feb

Rhodri Davies 2

Husb and I went to the “Gallery At Night” opening at the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery where artist in residence Rhodri Davies was performing on a range of strange instruments, including cymbals arranged on the floor (above) and adapted harps. I quickly got into the zone and scribbled automatically, allowing the music to dictate my mark-making. This is a recent development for me as I normally work in silence, not even listening to the radio. I drew these with a biro (ballpoint) pen into my small cloth-backed sketchbook (approximately A6 size).

13 Responses to “Music And Mark Making”

1. kestrelart February 21, 2018 at 00:58 #

I love this technique

• Rosie Scribblah February 21, 2018 at 03:58 #

It was quite spontaneous. I became completely absorbed in the music. It was very avant garde, the sort you either go along with or you walk out. It was interesting giving myself up to it and not focusing on drawing technique.

2. Procrastinator's Day Off February 20, 2018 at 13:25 #

I love the style of these, Rosie. I think I will have to try it out for myself. Nice work. You can almost see the sound of the music. Hypnotic.

• Rosie Scribblah February 21, 2018 at 03:51 #

Thank you. The music was very avant garde and the sort you can immerse yourself in and the drawing became quite automatic ☺

• Rosie Scribblah February 21, 2018 at 12:41 #

It’s encouraged me to find other different music that I wouldn’t normally listen to and see what happens….

3. alethakuschan February 19, 2018 at 16:05 #

The drawings look very musical, dynamic. And it sounds like you had a wonderful time being there. You go to such interesting places.

• Rosie Scribblah February 20, 2018 at 07:14 #

I’m lucky. It’s a small city but very cultural, poor but the arts are thriving 😀

4. Sharon Mann February 19, 2018 at 15:17 #

The scribble drawing is very effective.

5. outsideauthority February 18, 2018 at 22:46 #

I like how solid these are.

• Rosie Scribblah February 19, 2018 at 09:34 #

Thanks. I was able to spend quite a bit of time building the drawings as he remained fairly still.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )