A Higgledy-Piggledy Gothic Place

21 Feb

Lesley

Here are two more drawings I did last Sunday at a creative salon for women that I went to. It certainly gave me a creative boost and has helped to gel some ideas for development I’d been mulling around.

Jo and Phoebe

The salon was organised by the artist Fern Smith, a recipient of a Creative Wales Award who has organised “Seven Sundays in Spring: All The Women I’ve Ever Met“ to bring together creative salons across Wales (and one in England). This was the first and was hosted by the glass artist Chris Bird-Jones in her lovely Victorian house that clings higgledy-piggledy to the steep hill above Swansea city centre. The striking interior lends a Gothic atmosphere to the drawings.

10 Responses to “A Higgledy-Piggledy Gothic Place”

1. Leonie Andrews February 25, 2018 at 10:57 #

Love these Rosie. The first one really grabs my attention with that wonderful pattern across the figure. The torn paper also works so well.

2. alethakuschan February 22, 2018 at 15:12 #

“Higgledy-piggledy” must be a UK thing. I’ve never seen the expression used in America — much to our loss. What a fabulous expression!

• Rosie Scribblah February 24, 2018 at 01:17 #

Yes, it’s very old I think, but still fairly well used. I think it’s very descriptive 😊

• alethakuschan February 24, 2018 at 03:39 #

Higgledy-piggledy is something we need to import into American English — it’s a fantastic expression …! I’m going to use it every chance I get, see if I can start a trend — haha!

• Rosie Scribblah February 26, 2018 at 08:36 #

Excellent lol 😁 Harum scarum is another one I like. It means being impetuous. I don’t know if that’s just UK English though.

3. alethakuschan February 22, 2018 at 15:07 #

These are lovely! I especially like the woman in profile — there’s something so moving about it — the expression on her face and how the mood is gathered also in her hair and in the design of her clothing — really marvelous.

• Rosie Scribblah February 23, 2018 at 07:59 #

Thanks Aletha. She was making beautiful tiny papier mache dogs, perfect in every way …

4. outsideauthority February 22, 2018 at 11:03 #

These are great and there is a historical feel to them. Reminded me of reading AS Byatt books where you really begin to live in the book and the time as the descriptions of the surroundings are so rich.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )