Scribbling Yes Cymru

30 Jul

Husb and I endured eleven hours on a coach with the smelliest toilets in the universe on Saturday to get to and from the YES Cymru march in Caernarfon. It was amazing! Over 8,000 people crammed into the tiny cobbled streets and little market square, enjoying the party atmosphere and listening to inspiring speakers. It was a great crowd and of course, I had to have a scribble! Our coach from Swansea picked up the Llanelli / Carmarthen posse that included a bunch of lads who rocked the Welsh costume – here’s one of them in a rather fetching mini-skirted version.

Caernarfon 3

And a few faces in the crowd…..
Caernarfon 2

….including Lloyd-George modelling an ANNIBYNIAETH banner!

Caernarfon 1

And I did a quick sketch of Scottish speaker and supporter Hardeep Singh Kohli as he sat and waited for his turn behind the ever-moving flags and legs. He was hilarious and such a fervent supporter of Scottish … and Welsh … independence.

Caernarfon 4

I’m still recovering from the travel sickness. But it was worth it.

6 Responses to “Scribbling Yes Cymru”

1. kestrelart August 1, 2019 at 01:36 #

But why I wonder
    Perhaps better to work for a socialist government of all UK than drive borders between us, so fragmented, we are consumed by bitterness while still being all owned by US multinationals.

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2019 at 10:21 #

I think the double whammy of Brexit and Boris has finished off the UK and we need to be prepared for that. The mood in Wales isn’t one of bitterness, nor is it in Scotland and Northern Ireland – rather it’s one of optimism and enthusiasm – looking forwards not backwards. It’s interesting that many people in England see Welsh and Scottish independence as indicative of us disliking England, but that’s not the case. We’re too busy working on building our futures (and have been for a long time, largely unnoticed by the English media) to waste time on bitterness and resentment.

A UK socialist government would be lovely but that’s what we’ve been trying to do in Wales and Scotland for decades – please look at the voting figures for each of the 4 nations. It is always England that returns a conservative majority. Scotland and Wales would have had socialist governments years ago if we had not been in the UK. England needs to come to terms with it’s conservatism and forge its own future as well. I’m really enthused about the new alliances we could be forming in the future. Why hold on to something that’s past it’s sell by date?

• kestrelart August 1, 2019 at 11:52 #

Thanks for giving me such a long reply. Might I use your blog to reply?
        I understand and sympathise with your position. Personally, during the Scots’ referendum, I felt bereft, part of my identity and citizenship being taken away from me without my consent or voice. I would have been down at the new Scottish embassy the morning after, applying for dual citizenship, but that illustrates that what nationalism does is deprive us, all of us, not empower us, just as Brexit deprives us of wider citizenship. I believe Wales voted Leave in the EU referendum also, unlike Scotland and Northern Ireland. That speaks of bitterness and resentment not optimism. England is not uniform. Swathes of England are struggling, voiceless, turning to extremism in desperation. You could view English conservatism as Nationalism also. It is the very optimism of Nationalism (of which Boris is a caricature) which makes me despair. Structurally, we remain a tiny nation even together. Fragmented, we are all victims, endlessly squabbling, our politicians picking up easy votes, our media bait-clicking their circulation, through blaming our neighbours.
        Perhaps we should all declare independence and form a new union separate from London.

• Not So Great Dictator August 1, 2019 at 13:01 #

If England had set up it’s own parliament when Scotland Northern Ireland and Wales did. I think a lot of what’s happened in the last few years would have been avoided. The famous West Lothian Question which the English get so excited about has been happening in reverse in Westminster since day one with English MPs having a massively disproportionate say in issues which have only applied to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. An English parliament would have given the English a chance to see the difference between the UK and England. It’s way too late for that now of course.

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2019 at 14:55 #

That’s an interesting point. I think the people of the three non-English nations see a very clear difference between us and Britain / UK whereas many English people see England as interchangeable with Britain / UK.

• Rosie Scribblah August 1, 2019 at 12:29 #

I think it’s really good that we can have this conversation. We all need to have civilised conversations like this, not the bear-pit that is social media. We don’t use the word nationalism here – it’s a word that’s been foisted on us by the UK media – Plaid Cymru simply means the Party of Wales and we use the word Annibyniaeth – Independence. I understand that in Scotland they’re moving towards using the word Independence rather than nationalism too. What passes for nationalism in England is so very different from what is labelled nationalism in Wales and Scotland and it does seem to me, as an outsider looking in, that England has given over its identity to extremists and that’s something that only the English can sort out. If you look at the parties that most represent independence in Scotland and Wales, they are left of centre and I would argue that they are certainly more socialist than Blair’s Labour party, so we’re not looking at a right-wing future – far from it. There’s nothing wrong with optimism – depends who is leading us – you’ve got Boris Johnson, we haven’t.

Wales had a majority vote to leave the EU (I voted to stay), but the endless analysis of why that happened that’s been going on for the past three years, both in Wales and the rest of the UK, is very complex. I did quite a bit of research on this for my Sky Arts commission. I spoke with Welsh and Scottish independence supporters who voted to leave because they saw it as a way of forcing the break up of the UK – they seem to be right. I spoke to people in valley communities living in dreadful poverty who rightly said that for decades the EU had not worked for them. I spoke to many socialists who dislike the EU because they regard it as corrupt capitalism. It’s not all about bitterness and resentment, the situation across the UK is far more nuanced.

I feel very sorry for England. I have many friends and some family in England and they are certainly struggling emotionally and existentially in a way that isn’t happening in the other three nations.I think it’s a very English response to see the break up of the UK as fragmentation – alliances have been made and unmade, formed and reformed throughout history. And much tinier nations are existing very successfully – Iceland has a tenth of the population of Wales, the Republic of Ireland not that much more than us.

I really like your idea of England reforming and looking for a new way of living with the other three nations. The history, culture and languages of Cumbria and Cornwall have been as viciously suppressed as those of Scotland, Wales and Ireland – Cumbrian and Cornish are now having a revival, marvellous. Let’s get rid of the Westminster government once and for all, independence (not nationalism) for England, and let’s look at a new way of working together in the future – one that’s based on equality and an honest respect for our different cultures, histories and languages. Can’t be any worse.