Nearly But Not Quite

28 Nov

Rob 6

I did some more painting today – what’s going on with me? I’ve hardly painted since I was in art college back in the 1970s and now I can’t stop. The fabulous GS Artists have been organising free art tutorials, a mixture of Zoom and on-site (observing safety protocols of course). It’s part of the 9-to-90 art events programme in Swansea and there are plenty coming up – click on the link to find out more. Today’s was a portrait class run by Tomos Sparnon and the subject was ‘Gavin And Stacey’ actor Rob Brydon. It isn’t a good likeness yet but I’m getting there. I’ve made his nose too long which makes his face too long.

Tomos started with some sketchbook exercises in pencil and then we tried a few quick scribbles of Rob before drawing him up ready for painting. I worked on paper in gouache, a new experience for me and I really liked it. One of my favourite artists, Egon Schiele, did a lot of his best work in gouache. I think that one of the most important things I learned today was not to be too precious about a painting. Keep at it even though there are mistakes because recognising those is part of the process. Then put it aside and start another. And another until you get it right. Good stuff.

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artifacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left and to see the complete image.

Inspired by drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artefacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

7 Responses to “Nearly But Not Quite”

1. Helen Cherry November 30, 2020 at 23:52 #

Handsome fella!

• Rosie Scribblah December 2, 2020 at 19:43 #

I think I might have flattered him a little bit – he has lovely eyes though 🙂

2. Alli Farkas November 29, 2020 at 05:39 #

Can’t comment on accuracy of the subject since I don’t know the actor. However, I will say that I appreciate it as a very expressive painting.

• Rosie Scribblah November 30, 2020 at 20:22 #

Thanks Alli. I did it in about 30 minutes so I’m quite pleased, but I need to do more sketching now and paint a couple more 😀

3. Leonie Andrews November 28, 2020 at 22:10 #

Keeping the ones with mistakes is a good idea. I know that often when trying out something different our default is to toss out work that ‘fails’ our standards, instead of learning from it.

• Rosie Scribblah November 28, 2020 at 22:21 #

I tend to keep stuff, put it away for ages and then rediscover it and often I’m able to sort out what went wrong. It’s really useful and there’s a sense of achievement when you see all the failures culminating in the one that works 😀

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: