Sparta Puss And The Magpie

2 Nov

Magpie final

Today I finished off the copy I made of Monet’s painting “The Magpie”, started with Ed Sumner’s Cheese and Wine Painting Club on Facebook. So many shades of white! I used Liquitex heavy body acrylic paints, Daler Rowney brushes for acrylics and a primed canvas from Wilkinsons. Oh, and a couple of palette knives. In fact, I mostly used the palette knives, which is something new for me.

Sparta Puss isn’t impressed. We have a pair of magpies that return to nest in the tree next door every year and they are her sworn enemies. She’s never managed to harm them though. She’s a little on the ….. chunky side and can’t climb up as far as the nest. They torment her, throw stones at her and scream at her from the other side of the window when she’s indoors. She hates them.

Sparta Magpie

A Chance To Own One Of My Artworks

I have some small screenprints for sale, inspired by my drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artifacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

To buy my work on the Swansea Print Workshop site please click the image to the left and to see the complete image.

Inspired by drawings of the taxidermy collection at Swansea Museum. I have given these antique artefacts a modern twist by combining them with images of rubbish – old fruit nets, bubble wrap and plastic – highlighting the problem of human pollution and how it affects wildlife.

20 percent of the cost of each screenprint sold goes to support Swansea Print Workshop, which receives no public funding.

6 Responses to “Sparta Puss And The Magpie”

1. paperstew November 3, 2020 at 22:03 #

Lovely finished painting! It looks even better with Sparta sitting next to it (she told me to say that).
    My studio partner isn’t feeling great these days. The other two are learning how to create more mischief instead.

• Rosie Scribblah November 4, 2020 at 19:02 #

Sparta Puss is very fond of MeMe and has been quite concerned, so good to know the vet has identified the problem. She doesn’t approve of the young ‘uns tearing around the place though!

2. Alli Farkas November 3, 2020 at 18:10 #

I love painting with palette knives. Have fun!

• Rosie Scribblah November 4, 2020 at 19:00 #

Thanks. It was the first time I’ve been happy to use them 🙂

3. ossjay November 2, 2020 at 23:41 #

Your Sparta Puss and our Kitten share the magpie in the garden problem, also that older age chunkiness. Kitten sits on the safe side of the patio doors miaowing crossly. Love the Monet. Take care x

• Rosie Scribblah November 3, 2020 at 11:16 #

Thank you. They drive her nuts!!! It’s when they pick stuff out of the guttering and pelt her and laugh that really gets her goat 😀